Thursday, December 10, 2015

Spain - Barcelona

This was my first trip to Spain.  It always hard to decide what cities to visit when you are visiting a country for the first time.  Since I knew I wanted to go to San Sebastian, we opted to fly in and stay in Barcelona for a couple of days.
I didn’t know anything about Barcelona or any ideas on hotels to say at.  Barcelona Tourist Guide provides a breakdown of all the Barcelona neighborhoods, transportation information, and nearby hotels.  Use this to familiarize with your city, and you might get some ideas of attractions you might want to visit while you are there. 

Where to Stay

I always use TripAdvisor to when I start looking at hotels.  I look to see what the highly rated hotels are, where they are and the average cost.  My preference is to try to find a “local hotel” vs. a chain hotel (Hilton, Sheraton,etc).  I want to try to get the local experience if I can.  However, depending on where you are traveling the chain hotels might be best. Once I locate some hotels that look nice, within my price range, have higher ratings, I begin reading reviews.  With any type of review you have to take some with a grain of salt.  I do appreciate reviewers that provide a clear description of their stay and why or why they did not like their stay.

I finally decided on Hotel Montecarlo.  It was a great hotel.  Right on Rambles street, which for being our visit it was worth experiencing Barcelona Main Street and all the sights, sounds and people it provided.  The hotel was clean, comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.  We had to stay an extra night due to a reservation conflict at our next hotel, and they were very accommodating.  We stayed in the big standard natural light room.  The room was a nice size, plenty of storage and was very quiet for the location.
Staying on Rambles street, it easy to walk to a lot of restaurants, cafes, old town, attractions, etc.  However, if you are not up for walking, it was always east to hail a cab, or the metro stops are nearby.

What to Do

Of course we did most of your first time visits tourists visits, which I will not list out. You can find all of this information in any good guide book or travel site to decide what you want to see.  However, I will share one of the things I enjoyed the most about Barcelona. Walking the little streets of old town (Gothic Quarter). As you walk through the small narrow streets, you will see architecture dating back to the 14th century to modern day.  It is fun to see a mix of the old and the new.  The architecture is amazing and this experience is not anything you will ever experience in the US.  You don’t have to be in a rush or have an itinerary, you just follow the roads and see where they take you.  Stroll into the 14th century church and listen to the sounds or the music.  Sit in a pew, ad just take in all the history and the beauty. Take a break in a little café, and pretend to be a local.  A place to definitely visit in the old town is Picasso MuseumThe museum occupies 5 palaces dating back to the 13th -15th century.  Not only is the art great, you get a bit of glimpse inside the palaces.  The entrance alone is pretty spectacular.  If you are going to visit, buy your tickets online beforehand.  The lines can get pretty long, and you do not want to waste your vacation waiting in line.

OH..The Food!

Just like trying to decide where to stay and where to stay, trying to decide where to eat is the biggest challenge.  So many wonderful places to eat, but there is no way of even skimming the surface of all the great flavors that Spain has to offer. 
In searching for restaurants and bar, I use the following apps on my phone or websites:
      Foursquare
      Chef’s Feed
       FED Guide
      Google

Here is what I found using these tools.


Boadas Cocktails – this bar was located right down from hotel.  And what grabbed my attention about the bar is that it is the oldest cocktail bar in Barcelona, dating back to the 1930’s.  It does not get more authentic and Spanish this.  When you walk in it is like stepping into a speakeasy in the 1930’s.  The bar is cozy, intimate, with a touch of class and nostalgia. The bartenders are wearing tuxedos, and make martins with a certain flair that I have never seen before.  It was such a treat to find such a place.  I only wish there was one of these in my neighborhood.  If you go, try the cocktail of the day.  More than likely you never heard of and it may not be familiar with the ingredients. When in Barcelona, drink like the locals!

Tapas 24This restaurant was within walking distance from our hotel.  I decided to go here based on the reviews I read.  All the reviews said it was delicious, and it was. We had to wait about an hour to get in.  I about have up, and went down the street to a place that did not have a wait, but I am glad I waited it out.  Try whatever looks good to you, because it will be good.  The atmosphere is little crowded and little loud, but also fun and lively.

Quimet & Quimet – this wonderful treasure we stumbled across by chance, and what a wonderful chance it was.  We visited Montjuic, and were ready for something to eat.  The choices in the area where were limited.  I used Foursquare to see what was nearby, and this Quimet & Quimet came up as a top choice.  It is located at the bottom of the hill, which is about a 5 or 10 minute taxi ride.  After walking around for most of the afternoon, I was ready to sit have a cold drink and some good food.  Well sitting is not much of an option.  There are just a couple of tables, but it is mostly belly up to the bar, and rub elbows with your neighbors has you eat your tapas.  No one seems to really care that we are kind of squished in the bar, because we are all just enjoying the wonderful tapas. One of the best tapas we had was the montadito (a small, open-faced sandwich) of smoked salmon with Greek yogurt and truffled honey.  It doesn’t like these items goes together, but it is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.


An Adria Brothers restaurant – if you are a foodie then you know Ferran and Albert Adria or El Bulli.  Since El Bulli closed, the brothers opened Tickets and 41 Degrees.  From what I could tell 41 seemed to resemble El Bulli, with a couple of items that were on the El Bulli menu, but had a cocktail focus.  41 has since closed, but Albert is working on a revamped 41 Degrees called Enigma.  When is Barcelona  make a reservation at one of Adria brother’s restaurant. It is an eating experience that cannot be missed!


Barcelona is a top city, and I will always have fond memories of my time spent there.  I highly recommend that you add it to your travel bucket list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment